Let’s be frank; both vaping and smoking have negative side effects. But according to health experts, the extent of impact from an electronic cigar and other vaping devices is minimal compared to smoking traditional cigarettes. This is one of the reasons why vaping is gaining more popularity while smokers are declining in number by the day.
The health sector is working hard to provide doctors with information about the health impact of both vaping and smoking so that they can assist patients in making the right decisions.
According to a report by the American Heart Association (AHA), people believe that they are safer while using a vapor cigar. However, another report by the U.S. Surgeon General that was given in 2016 describes vaping as a public concern that calls for other action by all health experts.
What Is an Electronic Cigar?
A few decades ago, electronic cigarettes came into the picture and started changing the way people ”smoke.” Instead of smoking, people inhale nicotine-infused vapor resulting from the burning of liquid vape juice. In a nutshell, an electronic cigar is a device that is powered by batteries to burn vape juice to produce vapor. A cigar vape pen resembles traditional cigars to give users an authentic feel.
So, is an e-cigar better for your health than a traditional tobacco cigar? This question is better answered by looking at the ingredients contained in both.
What Is in an Electronic Cigar and Traditional Cigars?
Basically, the consumable e-juice used in an electronic cigar contains a couple of ingredients. The ratio in which they are mixed may vary, but you will often find them present.
- Nicotine – This is a common ingredient in both e-cigars and traditional cigars. Actually, it is often present at high levels, making vaping and smoking very addictive. As we are going to see later, nicotine is a major contributor to the health risks of using either an electronic cigar or a traditional cigar.
- Tar – This is a product of tobacco and its by-products. When you smoke a traditional cigar, tar is one of the ingredients that gets into your body and affects it negatively. Likewise, a rechargeable electronic cigar has traces of tar from the tobacco in the e-juice.
- Toxins – Whether you vape an electronic cigar or smoke a traditional cigar, you are not completely without risk as both contain a lot of toxins and chemicals. According to experts, hundreds of chemicals are present. The common ones include aromatic amines, benzene, and polyaromatic hydrocarbons among others. Heavy metals such as lead and volatile organic compounds might also be present.
Health Impacts of E-Cigars and Cigars
As mentioned, the presence of nicotine, tar, and hundreds of harmful chemicals in a nicotine electronic cigar or tobacco cigar is the main source of health impacts. Here are some of the impacts.
- Cancer – Lung and throat cancer are common among e-cigar vapers and cigar smokers according to medical reports. The presence of the chemicals mentioned in either a vapor cigar or traditional cigar might trigger the growth of cancer cells, mostly in the throat, lungs, and airways. If it seems that vaping a refillable e cigar is a better option, you may be surprised. A report in 2017 has revealed that burning vape juice in a refillable e cigar at high temperatures results in hundreds of harmful chemicals that might cause cancer and other illnesses.
- Respiratory problems – Smoking and vaping are responsible for respiratory problems in people today. It could be asthma, allergic reactions that block the airways, or other health issues. According to doctors, cigars and e-cigars might shorten the life of users because of respiratory problems and other illnesses.
- Cardio Problems – Users of an electronic cigar or a traditional cigar increase the risk of having a heart attack or stroke. Doctors and health researchers have cautioned the public on these health impacts especially for those who use nicotine-infused products.
- Oral health impact – Sadly, vaping and smoking harm your oral health; the gums, teeth, tongue, and glands can all experience negative effects from using a cigar vape pen. Usually, the yellowing of teeth occurs because of the large amount of tar in tobacco.
Before looking for electronic cigars for sale or purchasing an ePuffer electronic cigar, you now know all the health impacts associated with the use of these devices. The impacts are even more pronounced when you smoke traditional cigars.
However, you can always minimize these impacts by taking the precautions recommended by medical experts. The best way to eliminate these risks is to quit your electronic cigar or traditional cigar entirely.
Anita Casha is a dedicated health writer with an interest in sharing positive and good words with humanity. In this case, she shares positive words on the health impacts of both e-cigars and traditional cigars to enlighten current users, those who are planning to start, and those intending to switch from smoking to vaping. She hopes readers can learn and grow as a result of her meaningful writing.