Ever feel like you wake up dreading the day ahead?
If so, you’re not alone, but the good news is there is a simple, powerful method you can use to immediately raise your energy and set yourself on the path towards having a great day.
The trick? Say a few simple positive affirmations when you wake up.
What you think first thing in the morning has a strong impact on how you start your day. If you wake up and immediately feel stressed, tired, or disheartened about the day ahead, then you need to take a few moments to reset, and deliberately put yourself into a good.
How To Use These Affirmations
In order for these phrases to work, you need to take a moment to learn how to use them correctly.
Simply repeating an affirmation over and over again will not always work. That’s because the affirmation is only as powerful as the emotion behind it.
When you repeat these short phrases, take a moment to feel into each idea, and try to imagine a positive emotion resulting from them. That will help you to connect with your inner energy, and make the most of each affirmation.
This post from The Joy Within explains the process in more detail.
My 5 Favorite Morning Affirmations
As you read the following affirmations, feel free to adapt them to meet your own specific needs and circumstance.
I think these phrases work best when used together, and you might want to repeat each several times silently or aloud before you move on to the next.
- I am well. This first phrase is a perfect way to start the day because it asserts the power of your own well-being. Notice how general and light-hearted it is. The simple fact that you are awake and alive is evidence of your well-being, before any negative thoughts can creep in.
- This is a good morning. This next idea starts to get a little more specific about your day, while staying very general. Don’t dive into thoughts of what you have to do just yet, simply notice that today, without any qualifications, can be good.
- Today is a new day. Focusing on the fact that it is a new day almost always feels refreshing. There can be huge relief and optimism within the idea that you have a fresh start and a new opportunity to accomplish whatever it is you want to do today.
- I like that today I will ____. Now, begin to focus a little more specifically on the day ahead, but only on aspects that you like, or can feel excitement about. Choose one or two things you will do, and remind yourself why you like them.
- I am excited about the day ahead. Lastly, try to move from that feeling of liking something about your day, to feeling excited about it. Repeat the positive ideas from #4, and become more engaged with them.
If you follow these 5 affirmations, repeating them for a few moments in order, you will start to feel more positive and optimistic about your day.
This energy, in turn, will help you to feel motivated, and will set you on the path for a good, productive, and fun day ahead!
As Tony Robbins says, “The power of positive thinking is the ability to generate a feeling of certainty in yourself when nothing in the environment supports you.”
So, take some time to feel that certainty in yourself, and start your day off right!
If you need more ideas, or want to change these phrases to fit your life, check out this list of inspiring words to use.
About The Author: Kyle Greenfield is a meditation, happiness, and personal empowerment teacher, and the founder of The Joy Within. Based in London, Kyle teaches that when you prioritize joy, everything begins to work out for you. He has led meditations, seminars, and lectures across The United States, Europe, and South America.